Current:Home > ScamsU.S. launches another strike on Houthi rebels in Yemen -WealthRise Academy
U.S. launches another strike on Houthi rebels in Yemen
Algosensey Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-06 20:11:58
American forces conducted another airstrike on a Houthi-controlled site in Yemen early Saturday, U.S. officials confirmed.
U.S. Central Command reported that the USS Carney, a destroyer, conducted the strike at 3:45 a.m. local time Saturday on a Houthi radar site using Tomahawk missiles. No further details were provided, although Associated Press journalists in Sanaa, Yemen's capital, heard one loud explosion.
The airstrike came just a day after the U.S. and U.K. launched strikes on dozens of targets in Houthi-controlled Yemen in response to the Iranian-backed rebel group's ongoing assault targeting shipping vessels in the Red Sea.
Lt. Gen. Douglas A. Sims II, director of operations for the Joint Chiefs of Staff, said Friday's strikes used more than 150 precision-guided munition to hit nearly 30 locations. CENTCOM said the strikes targeted "command and control nodes, munitions depots, launching systems, production facilities, and air defense radar systems."
A Houthi military spokesperson said Friday's attacks left at least five people dead and six wounded.
Despite the airstrikes, the Houthi movement's Supreme Political Council vowed Friday to continue targeting commercial ships in the Red Sea. Thousands of demonstrators turned out in Sanaa Friday, burning U.S. flags and chanting "God is great, death to America, death to Israel."
President Biden indicated to reporters Friday that the U.S. would fight back if Houthis retaliate.
"We will make sure to respond to the Houthis as they continue this outrageous behavior along with our allies," Biden said while conducting a small business tour in Allentown, Pennsylvania.
In a joint statement earlier Friday, the U.S., U.K., Australia, Bahrain, Canada, the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany, New Zealand and the Republic of Korea, said the strikes were in response to "continued illegal, dangerous, and destabilizing Houthi attacks against vessels, including commercial shipping, transiting the Red Sea."
Since Nov. 19, there have been at least 28 attacks from Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen on commercial shipping in the Red Sea, according to CENTCOM. The attacks have prompted several giant shipping companies to avoid the Suez Canal and transit around all of Africa instead.
On Jan. 9, Houthi rebels launched their largest such attack yet. A total of 18 drones, two-antiship cruise missiles and one anti-ship ballistic missile were successfully shot down by U.S. and U.K. forces patrolling the Red Sea, with no injuries or damage.
The White House last month accused Tehran of being "deeply involved" in the Houthi's Red Sea attacks, an allegation Iran's deputy foreign minister denied.
However, the U.S. government confirmed that Iranian forces directly seized an oil tanker off the coast of Oman Thursday which was carrying U.S.-sanctioned crude oil. That same vessel had been seized by U.S. authorities last year.
The Biden administration has focused on preventing the Israel-Hamas conflict from turning into a wider regional war across the Middle East, but since the war started, Iranian-backed proxies have been launching attacks both in the Red Sea and against U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria.
There have been at least 130 attacks by Iranian-backed militias on U.S. forces in Iraq and Syria since Oct. 17, including at least three since Monday.
— Eleanor Watson, Jordan Freiman, Tucker Reals and Charlie D'Agata contributed to this report.
- In:
- Houthi Movement
- Yemen
Faris Tanyos is a news editor for CBSNews.com, where he writes and edits stories and tracks breaking news. He previously worked as a digital news producer at several local news stations up and down the West Coast.
veryGood! (48395)
Related
- The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
- Regina King Details Her Grief Journey After Son Ian's Death
- Kansas is close to banning gender-affirming care as former GOP holdouts come aboard
- Prince William Praises Kate Middleton's Artistic Skills Amid Photoshop Fail
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- What is Pi Day? Things to know about the holiday celebrating an iconic mathematical symbol
- New Jersey lawmakers pause open records bill overhaul to consider amendments
- Grab a Slice of Pi Day with These Pie (and Pizza Pie) Making Essentials
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Christie Brinkley diagnosed with skin cancer during daughter's checkup
Ranking
- Brianna LaPaglia Reveals The Meaning Behind Her "Chickenfry" Nickname
- With Haiti in the grips of gang violence, 'extremely generous' US diaspora lends a hand
- A Georgia woman died after trying to get AirPod from under conveyor belt, reports say
- Facts about hail, the icy precipitation often encountered in spring and summer
- Opinion: Gianni Infantino, FIFA sell souls and 2034 World Cup for Saudi Arabia's billions
- Lionel Messi wears new Argentina Copa America 2024 jersey kit: Check out the new threads
- A critical Rhode Island bridge will need to be demolished and replaced
- JPMorgan fined almost $350M for issues with trade surveillance program
Recommendation
This was the average Social Security benefit in 2004, and here's what it is now
Lindsay Lohan Embracing Her Postpartum Body Is a Lesson on Self-Love
Parents of 7-Year-Old Girl Killed by Beach Sand Hole Break Silence
Hunter Biden trial on felony gun charges tentatively set for week of June 3
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Why FKA Twigs Doesn't Regret Burning Off Her Skin After Bleached Eyebrows Mishap
Lionel Messi wears new Argentina Copa America 2024 jersey kit: Check out the new threads
Parents of 7-Year-Old Girl Killed by Beach Sand Hole Break Silence