Current:Home > FinanceSafeX Pro Exchange|In a new video, Dylan Mulvaney says Bud Light never reached out to her amid backlash -WealthRise Academy
SafeX Pro Exchange|In a new video, Dylan Mulvaney says Bud Light never reached out to her amid backlash
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 21:45:20
In the wake of the backlash over a sponsored Instagram video,SafeX Pro Exchange trans influencer Dylan Mulvaney says she's been scared to leave her house for months — and Bud Light has never reached out to her to offer support or discuss what happened.
In a video posted Thursday to Instagram and TikTok, Mulvaney directly addressed what had happened for the first time.
"[W]hat transpired from that video was more bullying and transphobia than I could have ever imagined. And I should have made this video months ago, but I didn't," she said. "And I was scared."
Mulvaney said she waited for things to get better. "But surprise! They haven't really. And I was waiting for the brand to reach out to me, but they never did."
"For months now, I've been scared to leave my house. I have been ridiculed in public. I've been followed," she said, choking up. "I have felt a loneliness that I wouldn't wish on anyone. And I'm not telling you this because I want your pity. I am telling you this because if this is my experience from a very privileged perspective, know that it is much, much worse for other trans people."
Mulvaney has more than 10 million followers on TikTok and nearly 2 million on Instagram.
A few months ago, Bud Light sent Mulvaney a special can with her face on it. She posted a sponsored ad on Instagram, wearing a cocktail dress and enjoying a Bud Light as she discussed March Madness. A photo of her personalized can briefly appeared.
All hell broke loose. Conservative politicians including Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis criticized the company. People posted videos of themselves pouring out the beer, and Kid Rock posted one showing him shooting cases of Bud Light with a gun.
Bud Light, an Anheuser-Busch brand, had been America's best-selling beer for more than two decades. But following outcry from the right over Mulvaney's sponsored video, Bud Light has fallen to second place behind Modelo Especial. Bud Light sales volume dropped 29% in the four-week period ending in mid-June from a year earlier.
In April, Anheuser-Busch put out a vague message that offered no clear support of Mulvaney or the LGBTQ+ community. "We never intended to be part of a discussion that divides people. We are in the business of bringing people together over a beer," CEO Brendan Whitworth said in the statement.
In a statement to NPR on Friday, an Anheuser-Busch spokesperson said the company remains "committed to the programs and partnerships we have forged over decades with organizations across a number of communities, including those in the LGBTQ+ community. The privacy and safety of our employees and our partners is always our top priority."
Mulvaney suggests that the company's choices endanger the LGBTQ+ community.
"For a company to hire a trans person and then not publicly stand by them is worse, in my opinion, than not hiring a trans person at all. Because it gives customers permission to be as transphobic and hateful as they want," she said. "And the hate doesn't end with me. It has serious and grave consequences for the rest of our community." She closed by encouraging people to donate to the Transgender Law Center.
At the start of the video, Mulvaney sipped beer from a glass. "One thing I will not tolerate people saying about me is that I don't like beer," she said. "Because I love beer and I always have."
veryGood! (87)
Related
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Russell Brand accused of sexual assault, emotional abuse; comedian denies allegations
- UAW strike, Trump's civil trial in limbo, climate protests: 5 Things podcast
- Georgia still No. 1, while Alabama, Tennessee fall out of top 10 of the US LBM Coaches Poll
- Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
- Pennsylvania police search for 9 juveniles who escaped from detention facility during a riot
- The strike by auto workers is entering its 4th day with no signs that a breakthrough is near
- Police are searching for suspects in a Boston shooting that wounded five Sunday
- Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
- UAW strike day 4: GM threatens to send 2,000 workers home, Ford cuts 600 jobs
Ranking
- Trump suggestion that Egypt, Jordan absorb Palestinians from Gaza draws rejections, confusion
- Newborn baby found dead in restroom at New Mexico hospital, police investigation underway
- In Miami, It’s No Coincidence Marginalized Neighborhoods Are Hotter
- Los Angeles police officer shot and killed in patrol car outside sheriff's station
- In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
- UN experts say Ethiopia’s conflict and Tigray fighting left over 10,000 survivors of sexual violence
- UN warns disease outbreak in Libya’s flooded east could spark ‘a second devastating crisis’
- As leaders convene, the UN pushes toward its crucial global goals. But progress is lagging
Recommendation
Hackers hit Rhode Island benefits system in major cyberattack. Personal data could be released soon
Two facing murder charges in death of 1-year-old after possible opioid exposure while in daycare in Bronx
Blue Zones: Unlocking the secrets to living longer, healthier lives | 5 Things podcast
How Kelly Rizzo's Full House of Support Helped Her After Husband Bob Saget's Death
Can Bill Belichick turn North Carolina into a winner? At 72, he's chasing one last high
Trial of 3 Washington officers over 2020 death of Black man who said 'I can't breathe' starts
Allow Anne Hathaway to Re-frame Your Idea of Aging
UN experts say Ethiopia’s conflict and Tigray fighting left over 10,000 survivors of sexual violence