Current:Home > StocksNovaQuant-'We still haven't heard': Family of student body-slammed by officer says school never reached out -WealthRise Academy
NovaQuant-'We still haven't heard': Family of student body-slammed by officer says school never reached out
Surpassing Quant Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 04:59:24
The NovaQuantloved ones of a Georgia high school student body-slammed by an officer last month have multiple questions surrounding the arrest.
DeKalb County School District Police Chief Brad Gober arrested the 17-year-old student after a reported fight at Redan High School in Stone Mountain, Georgia on Aug. 30. The school district said they were aware of the surveillance video and placed Gober on paid leave as an investigation ensued. However, the boy's family was not.
"In keeping with standard operating procedure, Chief Gober has been placed on administrative leave with pay pending the outcome of an internal investigation," the district wrote in a statement to USA TODAY earlier this month. "This standard procedure ensures a comprehensive and impartial assessment of the incident."
The student, whose first name is Omauri, was charged with obstruction of law enforcement officers and disrupting public school, according to DeKalb County Jail booking records. He was jailed on Aug. 30 and released on the night of Sept. 2.
Omauri’s mother LaKia Amos died on Sept. 9 after battling leukemia since her 2019 diagnosis. Amos was a home healthcare worker and mother of four. She lost her nine-year-old daughter in an accident in 2009.
Before Amos' death, the 49-year-old home health care worker said Gober needed to be brought up on charges rather than being on paid leave, according to FOX 5.
See also:Maryland officer suspended after video shows him enter back seat of police car with woman
"I have not been able to stop crying since I saw that video," Amos told the TV station on Sept. 6 while in the ICU. "All I see is him walking, and someone come up and pick him up under his arms and slam him on the ground."
Ebony Ellebb, Amos’s healthcare proxy and best friend of 25 years, said Redan High School did not reach out to Amos to inform her of Omauri’s arrest. She said she knows Omauri has been allowed back at the school and that Gober has been placed on paid leave pending the investigation but still has many questions.
“We still haven't heard anything else regarding the situation. I don't even know if he's back at the school,” Ellebb told USA TODAY. “They have had no accountability for the incident.”
Amos was in complete shock as she watched the video, according to Ellebb. Amos felt helpless that she couldn’t protect her child as she was stuck in her hospital bed. Ellebb said it was heartbreaking for Amos to watch the video and echoed reports that the mother wanted justice for her son.
USA TODAY has reached out to Redan High School as well the DeKalb County School District again regarding the status of the Gober investigation and Ellebb’s comments.
"I feel like it's definitely not right. I mean, if an investigation is going to happen, I believe that he should not be on paid leave," Ellebb said. "Especially after what was witnessed on video. You can't deny the fact that he did what he did to Omauri. So being on paid leaves pending an investigation is crazy. It’s absurd."
Ellebb said Omauri was not involved in the fight but went to check on his friend who was. She added that he was then placed in a chokehold during the filmed arrest and faced a 10-day suspension from school.
Omauri was released from jail after a $5,000 bond and the two charges, including a felony, against him are still pending, Ellebb said. As the teen's godmother, she expressed frustration that the charges and his suspension from school will follow him everywhere.
What makes the situation especially painful is that Omauri spent some of LaKia’s last days in jail.
“Those three days that he spent in jail could have been with his mother," Ellebb shared.
Jema Britton, Ellebb’s sister and LaKia’s close friend, said the charges should be cleared and removed from his personal record as they could prohibit him from going to college.
Britton is the founder of Cusp Cares, a nonprofit that addresses the school to prison pipeline and provides customized adolescent enrichment solutions. She said that Gober should face repercussions for the arrest and that school officers must undergo compassion training.
“It was Omauri this time. But if that officer is back on school grounds, I'm more concerned about the next child,” Britton shared.
A GoFundMe page to support Amos’ children has gathered nearly $4,000 as of Friday evening.
More:Philadelphia police officer who fatally shot man suspended after video contradicts initial account
veryGood! (87)
Related
- Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
- Democrats are becoming a force in traditionally conservative The Villages
- Boeing’s ability to end a costly strike and extra FAA scrutiny looks uncertain
- EPA data make it hard to know the extent of the contamination from last year’s Ohio derailment
- Tree trimmer dead after getting caught in wood chipper at Florida town hall
- Georgia court could reject counting presidential votes for Cornel West and Claudia De la Cruz
- Proof Austin Swift's Girlfriend Sydney Ness Is Just as Big a Football Fan as Taylor Swift
- You Need to See JoJo Siwa’s NSFW Cover
- 2025 'Doomsday Clock': This is how close we are to self
- The Best Birthday Gifts for Libras
Ranking
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Lions coach Dan Campbell had to move after daughter's classmate posted family address
- Longshoremen from Maine to Texas appear likely to go on strike, seaport CEO says
- Michael Strahan Wants to Replace “Grandpa” Title With This Unique Name
- 'Survivor' 47 finale, part one recap: 2 players were sent home. Who's left in the game?
- Why does Ozempic cost so much? Senators grilled Novo Nordisk CEO for answers.
- Maine’s watchdog agency spent years investigating four child deaths. Here are the takeaways.
- Jury awards teen pop group OMG Girlz $71.5 million in battle with toy maker over “L.O.L.” dolls
Recommendation
Juan Soto praise of Mets' future a tough sight for Yankees, but World Series goal remains
Can dogs eat apples? Why taking your pup to the orchard this fall may be risky.
The Best Birthday Gifts for Libras
T.I., Tiny win $71M in lawsuit with toy company over OMG Girlz dolls likeness: Reports
McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
Major movie theater chains unveil $2.2 billion plan to improve 'cinematic experience'
Lady Gaga reveals surprise album and fans only have to wait until Friday for 'Harlequin'
Sean 'Diddy' Combs and his former bodyguard accused of drugging and raping woman in 2001