Current:Home > reviewsMinnesota county to pay $3.4M to end lawsuit over detainee’s death -WealthRise Academy
Minnesota county to pay $3.4M to end lawsuit over detainee’s death
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 02:00:33
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — Minnesota’s most populous county will pay $3.4 million to settle a lawsuit that alleged jail workers ignored the pleas of a 41-year-old man who died of a perforated bowel after spending days begging to be taken to a hospital.
The lawsuit was filed in January by the family of Lucas Bellamy, the son of St. Paul Penumbra Theatre founder Louis Bellamy. Lucas Bellamy died while in custody at the Hennepin County jail in Minneapolis in 2022.
The settlement is believed to be among the largest ever in connection with a jail death in Minnesota, the Minneapolis Star Tribune reported Monday.
The Bellamy family declined comment. Their attorney, Jeff Storms, said the settlement is important “in terms of reflecting accountability and responsibly for the egregious loss of Lucas’ life.”
Hennepin County spokeswoman Carolyn Marinan said the death of Lucas Bellamy was a “tragedy.”
“Our condolences go out to his family and to all those affected by his death,” Marinan said. “While this litigation has reached a resolution, we remain committed to serving all people under our care with dignity and respect.”
Lucas Bellamy was arrested in July 2022 on charges of fleeing police in a suspected stolen vehicle and possession of brass knuckles. During jail intake, he said he had ingested a bag of drugs and was taken to Hennepin County Medical Center, the suit said. He was sent back to jail with instructions to return to the hospital if symptoms worsened.
The lawsuit alleges Bellamy’s death was among 15 at the jail since 2015, including eight during the previous two years.
The announced settlement came days after the state ordered the county to reduce its jail population by 239 inmates over concerns about staffing shortages and inadequate care.
veryGood! (71487)
Related
- Pressure on a veteran and senator shows what’s next for those who oppose Trump
- 911 calls overwhelmed operators after shooting at Georgia’s Apalachee High School
- Will 'Emily in Paris' return for Season 5? Here's what we know so far
- After storms like Francine, New Orleans rushes to dry out
- Justice Department, Louisville reach deal after probe prompted by Breonna Taylor killing
- No pressure, Mauricio Pochettino. Only thing at stake is soccer's status in United States
- Inside The Real Love Lives of the Only Murders in the Building Stars
- Tigers lose no-hitter against Orioles with two outs in the ninth, but hold on for win
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Surgeon general's warning: Parenting may be hazardous to your health
Ranking
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- Pope slams Harris and Trump on anti-life stances, urges Catholics to vote for ‘lesser evil’
- MLS playoff picture: Hell is Real, El Tráfico could provide postseason clinchers
- Justin Timberlake Admits His Mistake After Reaching Plea Deal in DWI Case
- Cincinnati Bengals quarterback Joe Burrow owns a $3 million Batmobile Tumbler
- Video shows worker at Colorado Panera stop enraged customer with metal pizza paddle
- Ballerina Michaela DePrince Dead at 29
- A look at Harvey Weinstein’s health and legal issues as he faces more criminal charges
Recommendation
Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
Conservancy, landlord headed to mediation amid ongoing rent dispute for historic ocean liner
Minnesota Twins release minor league catcher Derek Bender for tipping pitches to opponents
How police failed to see the suspected Georgia shooter as a threat | The Excerpt
Juan Soto to be introduced by Mets at Citi Field after striking record $765 million, 15
Shohei Ohtani pitching in playoffs? Dodgers say odds for return 'not zero'
Friday the 13th freebies: Feel lucky with deals from Krispy Kreme, Wendy's, Pepsi
No ‘Friday Night Lights': High school football games canceled in some towns near interstate shooting