Current:Home > ScamsBenjamin Ashford|New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges -WealthRise Academy
Benjamin Ashford|New ban on stopping on Las Vegas Strip bridges targets people with disabilities, lawsuit alleges
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 02:00:34
LAS VEGAS (AP) — A woman who uses a wheelchair due to a spinal injury has accused the county that includes Las Vegas of unfairly targeting people with disabilities under its new ban on Benjamin Ashfordstanding or stopping while crossing pedestrian bridges on the Strip, according to a federal lawsuit filed Friday.
“Making criminals out of ordinary people who stop for even a few moments, like our client who has to stop periodically because she uses a manual wheelchair, is reckless,” said Athar Haseebullah, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Nevada.
The ACLU’s legal challenge comes one month after the ordinance took effect in Clark County. The measure makes it a misdemeanor to stop, stand or engage in activity “that causes another person to stop” on Strip pedestrian bridges. That also includes up to 20 feet (6 meters) surrounding connected stairs, elevators and escalators.
Violators of the ordinance could face up to six months in jail or a $1,000 fine.
The ban doesn’t include standing or stopping if a person is waiting to use an elevator, stairway or escalator, but it doesn’t exempt people who stop due to a disability.
According to the lawsuit, Lisa McAllister, who can’t stand or walk due to a spinal injury, often stops unexpectedly either because her arms are tired, her wheelchair is malfunctioning or her path is blocked by other people.
Because of that, the lawsuit says, the ordinance “has effectively denied” McAllister and other people with disabilities the use of pedestrian bridges on the Strip because they cannot always cross without stopping. It also says that the ordinance has deterred McAllister, a Las Vegas resident, from returning to the Strip.
Visitors often stop on pedestrian bridges in the famed tourist corridor to take photos amid the glittery casino lights or to watch street performers.
The ACLU of Nevada is asking a judge to strike down the ordinance, which it says violates not only the rights of people with disabilities but also rights protected by the First Amendment, including protesting or performing on the street.
“Clark County has banned activities that receive the highest protections under the First Amendment,” the lawsuit states.
A spokesperson for the county said Friday that the county doesn’t comment on pending litigation. But in a statement last month, the county said that the ordinance isn’t meant to target street performers or people who stop to take pictures, but rather to increase public safety by ensuring a continuous flow of pedestrian traffic across the bridges.
The measure “will help to ensure our world-class tourism destination remains a safe place for people to visit and transverse,” the statement said.
veryGood! (7477)
Related
- McConnell absent from Senate on Thursday as he recovers from fall in Capitol
- Dyeing the Chicago River green 2024: Date, time, how to watch St. Patrick's Day tradition
- Macaulay Culkin and Brenda Song Step Out for Rare Red Carpet Date Night
- Identity of massive $1.765 billion Powerball jackpot winners revealed in California
- DoorDash steps up driver ID checks after traffic safety complaints
- Coroner’s probe reveals Los Angeles maintenance man was Washington rape suspect believed long dead
- New Hampshire diner fight leads to charges against former police officer, allegations of racism
- Coroner identifies 3 men who were found fatally shot in northwestern Indiana home
- Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
- I think James Crumbley will walk free in manslaughter trial – because society blames mothers
Ranking
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- Dozens feared drowned crossing Mediterranean from Libya, aid group says
- Celebrity chef José Andrés' aid group has sent 200 tons of food to Gaza. Who is he and what is World Central Kitchen?
- Host, radio station apologize for 'offensive' quip about South Carolina star Kamilla Cardoso
- Israel lets Palestinians go back to northern Gaza for first time in over a year as cease
- Prosecutors say New York subway shooting may have been self defense
- Fast-moving fire damages commercial freighter at Ohio port, but no injuries reported
- The 10 Best Backless Bras That Stay Hidden and *Actually* Give You Support
Recommendation
B.A. Parker is learning the banjo
What to know about mewing: Netflix doc 'Open Wide' rekindles interest in beauty trend
Former Tennessee Titans coach Mike Vrabel hired by Cleveland Browns as coaching consultant
Love Is Blind's Cameron Hamilton Reveals Why He and Lauren Weren't at the Season 6 Reunion
'Vanderpump Rules' star DJ James Kennedy arrested on domestic violence charges
Kaia Gerber Reveals Matching Tattoo With The Bear's Ayo Edebiri
Former Massachusetts transit officer convicted of raping 2 women in 2012
Fasting at school? More Muslim students in the US are getting support during Ramadan